Welcome to Compass Child Birth Classes - All classes are free. For Covid levels 2-4 all classes are ZOOM online classes. We will send you the weekly link via email.
Kia Ora, Talofa, Ni Hao, Namaste, Konnichiwa, Marhaba, Hello, Hi, and a kind warm welcome. We look forward to meeting you all. Our classes are informal and relaxed. We give loads of current Best Practice information-packed with tips on coping through labour, birth, caring for baby, and feeding your newborn.
Fully Funded Free classes by Tu Ora Compass Health - a not-for-profit organization across Wellington and Porirua Cities. The classes are led by Denise Garcia an LMC Community Midwife/Childbirth Educator with lots of knowledge and experience. Denise is a mother of 6 and Grandmother of 7 mokopuna. Kate is a midwife with a 2-year-old and a 10-year-old. Sue Allan is a charge Midwife at the hospital.
Who can attend? A pregnant woman with 1 support person (either a partner/family member or friend)
Our Classes are held in, Churton Park Community Centre, Porirua Christian life Centre, and Cancer Society Newtown. Choose the full series of 4 classes or pick and choose. Attend on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evening, a Saturday, or 'Online-ZOOM' Class from your home/ office/flat.
Compass Childbirth Classes offer relaxed, informal and jam-packed classes with ideas, tips, and much-needed information. Please bring a water bottle to the classes.
- Natural labour and birth
- Natural pain relief options including Rebezo and a look at hypnosis, breathing
- Medical pain relief options including epidurals information
- Complex labour and birth-with all medical interventions
- Baby health checks and what decisions to consider. What to expect if you are staying in the hospital or birthing unit postnatally. How to hold, dress, change a nappy and care for a newborn straight after the birth.
- Feeding baby, antenatal hand expressing- collecting colostrum, nutritional needs of the newborn.
- Caring for a new baby- CPR, practice- Safe Sleep and naps, bathing baby, car seat installation and car seat safety. plus much more.
- Tips for adjusting your sleep/lifestyle to becoming a new parent(s).
- Link to our Facebook page or Instagram to get regular updates on classes and current information.
HOW TO BOOK:- click on the link to 'enquire or book. or email us
Or text 0226739001 Mon- Fri 9 am - 5 pm and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
Who are we?
- Denise Garcia, mum of 6, with 7 mokopuna under 6. An LMC Community Postnatal Midwife, Childbirth Educator, and trained Hypnobirth-Midwife-UK.
- Kate Allan is a mum of a 2-year-old baby, a 10-year-old and step mum to 2 teenagers. She is a qualified baby car seat technician. She will demonstrate car seat safety in our classes and has a Bachelor of Midwifery.
- Sue Allan is a mum of 3, grandmother of 2, and a Hospital Charge Midwife with loads of experience.
We support NICU- NEONATAL TRUST SHOP level 4, Wellington Hospital. They have the hand-expressing colostrum syringe packs for sale. Hire hospital-grade breast pumps. Or purchase at reduced prices. Our favourite is the bargain buy of a $40 merino cot size baby under-blanket. https://www.neonataltrust.org.nz/trust-shop
***Reminder to Book FREE Whooping Cough/ Flu/ Covid Vaccines in pregnancy at your GP or Pharmacy. https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/healthy-living/immunisation/immunisation-pregnant-women
IF you are unwell or worried about your baby or reduced baby movements - Contact your Midwife IMMEDIATELY or call Wellington Hospital 04-3855999 ask for the Birthing Suite / Delivery Suite / Hutt Hospital 04-5666999 and ask for Birthing Suite you will speak to a midwife on call 24/7. We recommend you get advice and get help today - please don't delay.Top