Compass Childbirth Classes include an optional visit to the Kenepuru Maternity Unit and a comprehensive free walking tour of Wellington Hospital. Our parents love it! takes approximately 1 hour. (Inform us if you need a wheelchair, it gets warm, so bring a water bottle.)
Access to Delivery Suite is fully dependant on room availability on the day
What does the Wellington Hospital tour include?
- Where to find the emergency parking if you're in a hurry, the after-hours emergency phone, and how to get orderly assistance and a wheelchair if needed
- Learn how to get from the cark park or after-hours park to the delivery suite (It can take up to ten minutes or more in labour)
- We will point out the women's clinics, and the women's health assessment service access areas
- See the pre-labour pods for inductions and elective caesareans.
- We cannot guarantee to see the Delivery Suite itself due to birthing and emergencies, but we will show you how to access the door and the intercom system.
- You will see the baby bassinet, and you will have the opportunity to practice making it up for the baby if you wish
- Discover the breast milk room. See the freezer for storing expressed colostrum and the fridge for storing fresh breast milk; See the range of breast pumps available for use in the hospital
- Whilst learning about the neo-natal unit (NICU), visit the NICU shop and see the beautiful wool clothing, bassinet merino blankets, Haaka breast pumps, well-child book covers and baby footprint kits. All for sale at good prices (cheaper than shop prices).
- Visit the antenatal and postnatal pods
- Find the Little Latch On room for lactation consultation help (10 am each weekday)
- See the coffee shops (Fuel, Wishbone and Vibe cafes)
- Meet in the main foyer by the orange lifts. A midwife will meet you and take you to Level 4 Delivery Suite, the Neonatal Unit and Postnatal pods.
- The tour will finish in the red lifts, by car parking and after-hours access.
- Parking costs up to $10 a day at Wellington hospital underground carpark; Parking at Kenepuru hospital is free
- If you need a wheelchair that can be arranged
- It can be hot. Bring cool clothes and a water bottle.
- Virtual online tour available here:https://www.ccdhb.org.nz/our-services/maternity/ccdhb-pregnancy-services/