Compass Childbirth Classes
About the classes
Compass Childbirth Classes are free classes run by experienced and passionate Midwives in Wellington and Kenepuru. The Midwives run a relaxed, informal and jam-packed with information, tips, and techniques including:
- What to expect in the third trimester
- Preparing for labour and birth
- Caring for a new baby
- grandparents are welcome to attend on our caring for the baby night.
The classes also include an optional guided walking tour of both Wellington and Kenepuru hospitals, as well as the opportunity to ask lots of questions and engage with other parents-to-be.
Compass Health funds classes via the Ministry of Health and CCDHB. The Ministry of Health gave full accreditation after auditing us in 2016.
How to book
Classes are suitable for mothers and their birth supporter/whanau/ member/friend anytime from week 28 of pregnancy. Classes run for four weeks on a Monday or Wednesday evening, 6 pm to 8.30 pm or occasionally held over two-half days on the weekend.
You can book online via the class calendar by selecting the dates that suit you. Bookings can be accepted anytime up until the day of the course but book early to avoid disappointment. We will confirm your place in the class via email within the week of booking. For a very late booking or change of plans, we may be able to fit you on an existing class via a phone call or email.
- Newtown classes cover parents located in the greater Wellington region: Northland, Ngaio, Karori, CBD, Island Bay, Mt Victoria, Seatoun, Miramar, etc
- Location is generally at the Cancer Society Rooms at 52 Riddiford St, Newtown. Free parking is available.
- The venue may change depending on availability. You will be advised of the new location if this applies to your class.
- Kenepuru classes cover parents located in the Northern Suburbs: Broadmeadows, Khandallah, Johnsonville, Newlands, Churton Park, Tawa, Porirua, Elsdon, Titahi Bay, Plimmerton, Whitby, Papakowhai, Aotea
- Classes are at Kenepuru Hospital Education Centre. Free parking is available.
About the Midwives/Educators/ class helpers
Denise Garcia is an LMC Midwife for Harbour City Midwives with 20 years experience. She has been teaching Childbirth Education for 30 years with Parents Centre, Tawa College, and private classes for 30 years. Denise has a Masters Degree in Education Leadership, Bachelor of Midwifery, and a Diploma of Childbirth Education and a Diploma in UK Hypnobirth for Midwives, She is on the two CCDHB committees.
Sue Allan is an ACM Charge Midwife from Wellington Hospital. She has a Bachelor Of Midwifery.
Kate Allan is a non-practising Midwife with a new baby, she is a baby car seat technician.
Patricia Davey is our volunteer course assistant - she has a background in Hypnosis and Teaching First Aid and has completed the UK Hypnobirth Diploma course 2018. Disclaimer: Patricia's Hypnotherapy practice is NOT associated with Compass Childbirth Classes and Patricia is regarded as a completely independent practitioner and not associated with the classes in this manner at all.